Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Doing nothing and pumping gas

It's weird how much it's pounded into our heads that we always have to be doing something. I woke up at 3 p.m. yesterday and felt like I'd already failed at life and was doomed to work the night shift at Sunoco. I've done nothing today except watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians and eat Chinese food, and the feeling is sinking in deeper. I have this little voice in the back of my mind telling me that I should be doing something useful for my future, for my life now, or just humanity in general. But where does this come from? Why do I feel like a gas station attendant after only 3 days of idleness? I think it's because our culture is built around constantly being bigger and better; self improvement with no end in sight. Idleness means uselessness, worthlessness, and eventually, failure. It's funny because in Spain they have the siesta, where you take time out of the day just to sleep and relax, but thinking about introducing this into American culture seems almost laughable. The minute we laid down we'd constantly be calculating all the time we were wasting, everything we could be doing and what we were going to get done as soon as we got up. I feel like it's almost impossible for us as Americans to entirely relax, because it's already irreversibly in our minds that idleness=failure. Excessive relaxation=time wasted. Considering this and the fact that there's still 4 more months left of summer, I guess I'm going to have to find something useful to do with my time. If not, though, I guess Sunoco has a pretty good Dorito selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment